Ok, I understand
Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. For more information, please see our privacy policy.
Skip to main content

Home

Hello everyone

I have been asked by my fellow councillors to take on the role of Chair of Lenham Parish Council from Richard Greenwood who stood down in August after over five years at the helm: Richard will be a very hard act to follow! There is a news article about Richard's retirement on the website.

I am very grateful to him for having left things in such good order and with a clear way forward. I hope that my recent career at the sharp end of local government will stand me in good stead as we all continue to work voluntarily for the good of the parish, I will give my best efforts to the role. Parish Councils are the first tier of local government and while it may seem an "old fashioned" thing it is a crucial protection mechanism for local communities.

While there is still the issue of Maidstone Borough Council’s ambition to parachute a significant housing estate into Lenham Heath to be resolved, a plan which the parish is wholly against, there are significant other plans on the horizon which will benefit the village in the longer term.

The Lenham Neighbourhood Plan, which has recently been independently inspected and found to be fit for purpose, will be put to a local referendum when we are given the green light by the government to do that. When the time comes for that local referendum we will make sure that everyone who is entitled to participate will have all the facts available to them.

I am conscious there are many people who don’t want any additional houses in Lenham at all and while I have significant sympathy with that view we have to accept that is no longer a point for discussion: the decision that Lenham, as a “rural service centre”, would accommodate 1,000 homes beyond 2021 was made in 2017 by an independent Planning Inspector reviewing Maidstone Borough Council's emerging Local Plan. It has been the parish council's role to make sure that this decision is implemented in a way that least disadvantages the existing communities whilst offering a welcome for those choosing to come to Lenham to live.

Our task as the plan moves forward is to make sure that when these homes are built they fit into our plan, comply with the policies developed as part of the plan to offer protection to the parish as a whole and demonstrate benefits across the parish for both the existing and new residents.

One of the benefits that hasn’t been mentioned much so far will be the release of additional funds to the parish which we plan to use to upgrade and renew important features for everyone, such as new modern toilets in the village, increased and better sports facilities as well as increasing and safeguarding the amount of public green space. These things will firm up as the neighbourhood plan moves forward and the housing developments get under way, that progress will release the funds to make these improvements possible.

Lenham is a lovely place to live, I never take for granted how lucky my partner and I are to have found a home here. There will always be “issues” to be resolved, that is the same everywhere, but over the years we have lived here I have found that people are less focused on themselves and more focused on their community, this has been especially evident during the recent and ongoing COVID-19 situation which has seen some amazing examples of folk going the extra mile to support the vulnerable living amongst us – long may that continue!

Cllr John Britt (Lenham South)

Chair Lenham Parish Council

Published agendas will be available here

What does Lenham Parish Council do?

Parish Councils are the tier of local government closest to the people. They are not linked to the church in any way. All Parish Councillors are volunteers who dedicate their free time to enhancing their Parish as best they can by utilising their individual skills and experience.

The responsibilities of Lenham Parish Council include looking after open spaces, such as the William Pitt field and Cemetery, maintaining playgrounds and other amenities, providing Maidstone Borough Council with a view on planning applications within the Parish and undertaking projects to benefit the Parish.

Our Mission Statement 

The Lenham Parish Council (LPC) is dedicated to enhancing the lives of all the residents of Lenham and its surrounding hamlets. LPC aims to maintain and protect the Parish environment and amenities. LPC strives to be pro-active in identifying and completing projects, large and small, that will benefit the Parish as a whole, with value for money always being sought. LPC aims to help keep Lenham Parish a unique and special place for residents and visitors alike.

Meet Our Councillors

Councillor Personal Details Responsibilities

Cllr. John Britt (South Ward)

Tel.07973 207521

john@lenhamparishcouncil.org.uk

Parish Council Chairman Chairman of Finance & General Purposes. Planning Committee member. Neighbourhood Plan Group member. Hamlets, Health & Welfare, Emergency Plan / Co-ordination, Communications, Youth Work Liaison, Cross maintenance.

Cllr. Alastair Walmsley (North ward)

Tel. 01622 859032 

alastair@lenhamparishcouncil.org.uk

Vice Chairman of the Parish Council.

Chairman of Planning Committee. Finance & General Purposes member. Neighbourhood Plan Group member. Highways & Speed Indicator. FC & Sports liaison. Allotment liaison.

Cllr. Michael Ballard (North Ward)

Tel. 01622 851409 Mob. 07780 665996 

michael@lenhamparishcouncil.org.uk

Douglas Alms Houses Trustee. Transport South East trains. WCs project.

Cllr. Michael Cockett (North Ward)

Tel. 01622 858422 

mike@lenhamparishcouncil.org.uk

Planning Committee member. Finance & General Purposes member. Neighbourhood Plan Group member. Meadows Trust, CPRE Representative. Web-site co-ordinator. Communications.

Cllr David Garland (North Ward)

david@lenhamparishcouncil.org.uk 

Mob: 07801371004

Finance and General Purposes Committee member, S106/CIL monies Representative, Maidstone Road car park, WC project..

Cllr. Kate Hammond (South Ward)

Mob. 07925 606236 

kate@lenhamparishcouncil.org.uk

KALC Maidstone Area Representative. Hamlets, Save our Heathlands (SOHL) Representative.

Cllr. Mike Lowe (North Ward)

Mob. 07841123123 

mike.lowe@lenhamparishcouncil.org.uk

Play facilities risk assessment & maintenance / installation of new play equipment.

Cllr. Marino Michaelas (North Ward)

Tel 01622 850658 Mob. 07827 016534 

marino@lenhamparishcouncil.org.uk

CCTV, Parking, Business Link Representative. Speed watch & CCTV equipment keeper. WCs Project

Cllr. Nick Osborne (North Ward)

Tel. 01622 859069 Mob. 07900 585733 

nick@lenhamparishcouncil.org.uk

Finance & General Purposes member. Neighbourhood Plan Group member. Picnic site, Nursery project, Cross maintenance, Christmas Lighting. Lenham Meadows Trust.

Cllr. Andy Ratcliffe (South Ward)

andy@lenhamparishcouncil.org.uk

Planning Committee member. Neighbourhood Plan Group member. Hamlets, Nursery project, Parking, Representative. WCs project. Communications.

Cllr. Paul Scrivens (North Ward)

Tel. 01622 853546 Mob. 07841 611201

Highways, Speed Indicator Device & Parking Representative. Maidstone Road Car Park Representative. Lock Up key holder.

Council Officers:

Parish Clerk: Mrs Margo McFarlane 

Contact details Email: hello@lenhamparish.org.uk              Telephone 01622 859682

Responsible Financial Officer: Mr James Bate

Contact details Email: rfo@lenhamparishcouncil.org.uk